The Law Society Ireland
The headquarters of Law Society of Ireland, the professional body for solicitors in the State, is in Blackhall Place, located in the heart of Dublin. It is a meeting place, a venue for conferences, meetings, weddings and gala dinner events.
In 1671, a charitable school for boys of poor families was established, called the Hospital and Free School of King Charles II, Dublin. It became known as the King’s Hospital or Blue Coat School because of the boys’ military-style blue uniform.
The original school, build on a different site, was deemed to be in danger of collapsing by the early 1770s. Thomas Ivory, Master of the School of Architectural Drawing in the Dublin Society was prepared a set of thirteen drawings in 1776 for a new design. The building was never finished to Ivory’s design.
In December 1783, the first boys moved into the school.
In 1894, the incomplete tower was removed and replaced by the present cupola. Blackhall Place remained the home of the Blue Coat School until 1968.
The building was acquired by the Law Society in 1971 and, having completed substantial renovations, it was opened as the headquarters of the solicitors’ profession in 1978.
The Chapel, now known as the Presidents’ Hall, has considerable distinction with its fine plasterwork of the Georgian period and was enhanced in the 20th century by the erection of a stained glass east window by the Irish artist, Evie Hone.
Apple Distinguished Program
Prestigious award is first of its kind in Europe.
Trainee solicitors have been doing their training exclusively on iPads for the past three years. Now, the Law Society has been recognised by Apple for their progressive use of the technology.
The “Apple Distinguished Program 2015-2017” accreditation is awarded to outstanding schools and programmes worldwide that are centres of innovation, leadership and educational excellence.
The Law Society is the first professional educator in Europe to receive the accreditation. The Society’s iPad 1:1 programme began in 2013, with iPads now incorporated across all PPC modules to facilitate a more interactive approach to learning. Since 2013, nearly 2,000 trainee solicitors have received iPads.
Apple awarded the Law Society of Ireland’s Professional Practice Course the prestigious award at a ceremony in the Society’s Law School May 2016.
“As the Law Society is the sole provider of solicitor training in Ireland, our vision is to train 21st century solicitors who can meet the exacting requirements of their clients and their firms,” said Law Society Director of Education T P Kennedy.
“Modern solicitors not only need to possess an acute understanding of the law and its application, but also need to possess the digital skills necessary to serve their clients in a globalised Ireland. Our iPad programme helps achieve that.
"The old image of a solicitor working with stacks of paper, faxes, and letters is outdated. We appreciate the efficiencies technology can bring to solicitors’ work.
“The fact that the iPads have also saved our trainee solicitors’ backs from dragging heavy books on law around the country is another important benefit.”
The full story of the Law Society’s journey to delivering a 21st century curriculum can be explored in a multi-touch eBook, created by Director of Education T P Kennedy. It can be downloaded from Apple’s iBookstore.
The Law Society of Ireland,